Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mixed Metal { Bracelet DIY }

I love layering a ton of bracelets to finish off an outfit. Lately, I have been a fan of mixing metals which was once considered distasteful. Not anymore! There are definitely certain pieces that work well together while others do not, so have fun trying pieces together until you find the perfect combination. My favorite layering bracelet broke, so I found similar beads and restrung my old bracelet and made several new. I love that they are silver, gun-metal, bronze, rose gold and gold so I can pair them with pretty much every piece of jewelry I own! See below for the super easy DIY steps.May20dMay20cMay20bmay20aMay20e


Supplies:

Mixed Metal Beads (Preferably different shapes and sizes)

Clasp

Crimp Beads

Beading String

Scissors

Pliers

All items can be purchased at Michaels or a local bead shop. If you prefer shopping online, try beadaholique.com

1. Measure string to wrist and add about 6 inches of slack for clasp, crimp beads and making mistakes! I usually cut a 12" string to be safe.

2. String crimp bead on first, then one end of clasp. Loop end of string back through crimp bead and tighten with pliers.

3. Now that one end of string is secure, start stringing beads in any pattern you choose.

4. Once all beads are on (about 6.5" of beads), repeat step 2.

5. Cut away any extra string. You have a fancy new bracelet!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Brianna! I love that you are putting these tips for jewelry making. I am sixteen and I am trying to start a jewelry business with the jewelry I've been making. I have been making jewelry since I was 5, and I love creating new designs and trying new techniques. Perhaps we could give each other ideas. I now have a blog at: www.briannasbeads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brianna, you are so sweet! I will check out your blog and hopefully we can get some DIY ideas from each other. I have another DIY jewelry post next week so check back:) XXx, Steph

    ReplyDelete